Information for session chairs
Thank you for agreeing to chair a session during the conference. As session chair, you will lead through your chosen session and announce the respective speakers. You will also be responsible for keeping to the timetable and leading the discussions after each presentation. We have put together some information for you.
Check the day, place and time of your session
Please check again day and time of your session with the conference programme.
All session chairs are requested to consider the following points for their session:
Prepair your session
- Be in the room where you will lead the session at least 20 minutes before the session starts.
- Coordinate with the technical staff and speakers at the venue.
- Make sure you have a timer and, if necessary, signs to show the remaining time.
Start of the session
- Please start the session on time.
- Briefly introduce yourself and explain the session to the audience.
Keep to schedule
- Please stick to the times listed in the conference programme.
- Inform the presenters in good time before the end of their talk. Usually, presentations will have the following durations:
Contributed talks: 15 minutes (12 min talk + 3 min discussion/speaker change)
Invited talks: 30 minutes (25 min talk + 5 min discussion/speaker change)
Plenary talks: 45 minutes (without discussion)
The exact length of the individual lectures can be found in the conference programme.
- Please ask the speakers to finish their presentation when the allotted time has expired. Be polite but firm.
- Please finish the session on time.
Moderation of the question and answer session
- The audience has the opportunity to ask questions after each presentation. Actively invite the audience to do so.
- Please also make sure to keep to the given time frame.
- If a speaker does not appear, allow the previous discussion to continue or suspend the session until it is time for the next scheduled presentation.